1 free-range egg, beaten, to glaze (alternatively use a little milk)
1. Heat the oven to 220C/425F/Gas 7/200C Fan. Lightly grease a baking sheet.
2. Mix together the flours and salt.
3. Rub in the butter lightly until it resembles breadcrumbs.
4. Stir in the sugar and then the milk to get a soft dough.
5. Turn on to a floured work surface and knead very lightly. Pat out to a round 2cm/¾in thick. Use a 5cm/2in cutter to stamp out rounds and place on a baking sheet. Lightly knead together the rest of the dough and stamp out more scones to use it all up.
6. Brush the tops of the scones with the beaten egg or milk. Bake for 12-15 minutes until well risen and golden.
7. Cool on a wire rack and serve with butter and good jam and maybe some clotted cream.